Friday, May 23, 2014

Friday Pie-Day: Rhubarb Berry Thyme Pie



It’s fresh, it’s unique, and it tastes rather gourmet. When I pinned this recipe from Chasing Delicious about a year ago, I didn’t really think I would ever be making it, but here it is!


Even with a cup of sugar, this pie isn’t that sweet, but the flavor is to die for!


I never would have thought to put these ingredients together, but it tasted divine! (Have I said that enough?!)


I adjusted the recipe to add a little more fruit than what it called for originally because our 9-inch pie pan must hold more than a regular sized 9-inch pie pan that I see in all these recipes. I’d say err on the side of more rather than less, because if you don’t end up using it all, you can still enjoy it!


Confession: this was my very first time interacting with fresh rhubarb (as opposed to frozen as seen in our strawberry rhubarb meringue pie), and it turned out to be pretty fun. With the consistency of celery, chopping up 3 stalks (slightly more than the original recipe called for) was a breeze. Such a unique smell too!


In addition to the strawberries and blackberries, a lemon wakes your taste buds up – after you grate the peel off, squeeze out the juice to coat the fruit.


And of course, we can’t forget the third word in this pie’s name. Another confession: I think I put too much thyme in mine. It tasted great, but if I had thought about it, I would have bought fresh thyme instead of using dried from the spice rack. If you have to use dried in a pinch, use less than half of the prescribed fresh amount.


Stir in all the thickening agents, including sugar, flour, and cornstarch, and you have yourself a pie filling!


When mixed together, this pie filling is beautiful. I hadn’t decided on a top crust, but when I saw this, I knew I couldn’t cover it up.


Instead, I tried a technique I had pinned awhile back – braiding a pie crust edge! It could have gone better, but it was fun and turned out pretty well.


I’ve already said how delicious this pie was, so I’ll let the rest of the pictures speak for themselves.




Bottom line: it’s a lot easier than it seems. Make one today!


Rhubarb Berry Thyme Pie (recipe from Chasing Delicious)

double crust for a 9-inch pan
3 stalks rhubarb, chopped (about 3 cups)
2-3 cups strawberries, halved or quartered
1 cup blackberries
1 cup sugar
1 T. flour
2½ T. cornstarch
zest from 1 lemon
1 T. juice from a lemon
2 T. fresh thyme, finely chopped


  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a pie pan with bottom pastry.
  2. Combine all other ingredients until everything is evenly distributed and pour into pie pan.
  3. Top as desired with other crust – entire crust sealed and vented, lattice top, cookie cutter shapes, braided edge, etc.
  4. Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for another 50 minutes.

5 comments:

  1. Keep us posted with new updates. its was really valuable. thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make so many great article here and I read your article a couple of times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appereciate your work. I read your article every thing is clear, Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m impressed with this article, I must say this is one of the best blog!! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoy every little bit of it,

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...