Monday, April 15, 2013

Monday Meals: Guacamole



Yes, I have made a meal out of guacamole. I actually avoided trying it for several years because I didn’t know what was in it (stupid reason, I know), but after a dear friend introduced it to me last year, I have fallen in love. Since then I have made it many, many times, and yes, it has definitely been a filling lunch for me on a few occasions.





This recipe in particular is so aromatic because of all the fresh ingredients it requires. I think this is one of the healthiest lunches and/or snacks, and it tastes great! It is necessary, however, to accompany this with “Hint of Lime” Tostitos. (They are not paying me to say this.) The flavor is amazing.




To start with, avocadoes are just awesome. It’s fun to cut them in half and remove the slimy seed from the center. It’s satisfying to scoop the flesh out of the skin with a spoon.




It’s invigorating to mash it up (make sure you do this for long enough, although I rather fancy the chunks). And it’s definitely delicious to eat, especially with all the other ingredients added!




Next comes the lovely task of chopping – lots and lots of chopping! 




Garlic! Red onion!




Tomato!




Cilantro!




I have to admit that before guacamole, I had no experience whatsoever with fresh cilantro. Oh, the years that were wasted! This herb definitely adds a pungent, fresh flavor to the guacamole, and really any soup or dish you drop it into!




Another strong flavor is the lime juice. Yes, we use a real lime squeezed by hand. It’s definitely worth it.




Last come the spices. We used onion powder, garlic salt, and Nature’s Seasoning… and I don’t have specific measurements because we just kinda sprinkled some in, stirred it around, and tasted it, then added a little more.




Yes, this guacamole is super chunky. I love it that way!




And may I reiterate that the perfect complement is “Hint of Lime” Tostitos. (I really am not being paid to say this.)




This post is dedicated to Courtney, who first introduced me to the wonderful world of guacamole; and Sara, with whom I have made this on many occasions. (Sara replaces the onions with jalapenos when she makes it.)




Guacamole


1-2 avocadoes

⅓ cup red onion, diced

1 Roman tomato (8 cherry tomatoes)

1 clove garlic, diced

juice from half a lime

fresh cilantro, chopped

onion powder

garlic salt

Nature’s Seasoning



  1. Mash avocado with fork until lumps are smoothed out.
  2. Add onion, tomato, and garlic, and lime juice.
  3. Season to taste with remaining four ingredients.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a later convert to the deliciousness of guacamole, too...and I even grew up in San Antonio. All the wasted years! :-) The hint of lime chips are my favorite, and you have me craving guacamole now.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...